
WASHINGTON—U.S. Secretary of Energy Chris Wright today issued an emergency order authorized by Section 202(c) of the Federal Power Act to reduce the risk of power outages and strengthen grid reliability across the mid-Atlantic region. The emergence order permits PJM Interconnection, L.L.C. (PJM, in coordination with the Talen Energy Corporation, to run Unit 4 at the Wagner Generating Station in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, to meet anticipated electricity demand.
PJM requested the order to continue operating Wagner Unit 4 beyond its current operating limit. PJM told the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) it expects to continue needing the unit during periods of high electricity demand to maintain reliable grid operations.
“Energy shortfalls for 65 million Americans are simply unacceptable,” said Secretary Wright. “Previous orders in the mid-Atlantic region have helped keep the lights on and I am confident this order will help do so in the coming months as well. Today’s order helps temporarily address the urgent need to strengthen grid reliability and ensure Americans across the mid-Atlantic region have access to affordable, reliable, and secure energy regardless of whether the sun shines or wind blows.”
Secretary Wright previously granted PJM’s requests to operate Wagner Unit 4 beyond its operating limit to help maintain grid reliability. PJM relied on Wagner Unit 4 during periods of unusually high temperatures earlier this summer, using the unit’s remaining operating hours. PJM has since indicated to DOE that it continues to need Wagner Unit 4 to meet high electricity demand and help prevent power outages.
This order is effective from August 20, 2026, through November 17, 2026.


















